Drinking unfiltered water of questionable quality poses a variety of health risks, and for that reason, water pitcher filters are becoming increasingly popular products on American countertops. They provide clean drinking water for the whole family in an easy, affordable, and convenient way. This article outlines what water pitchers are, how they work, and how you can choose the best water filter pitcher for your needs.
Water filters, sometimes called water purifier pitchers, typically consist of a reservoir in the upper part of the jug with a filter cartridge inside it. This is a simple, but extremely effective design which helps to remove pollutants and purify water as it runs through the cartridge into the pitcher.
10 Best Water Filter Pitcher: At A Glance
|1. Brita Large 10-Cup Everyday Water Pitcher|
|2. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher|
|3. ZeroWater 10-Cup Pitcher|
|4. Reshape Alkaline Water Pitcher|
|5. DRAGONN pH-Restore Alkaline Pitcher|
|6. EHM ULTRA Alkaline Water Pitcher|
|7. Lake Industries7000 Alkaline Water Pitcher|
|8. Seychelle Water Filter Pitcher|
|9. Waterdrop WD-PT-03 Water Pitcher Filter|
|10. Santevia Alkaline Water Pitcher|
If you’re looking for a compact and portable solution to reduce contamination and improve the taste of your drinking water, then read on to discover everything you need to know about what water pitcher filters are, how they work, and how to choose the right one for your family’s needs. Below, we’ve put together a list of the best options from various price points across the spectrum.
- Top 10 Best Water Filter Pitcher Reviews:
- 1. Brita Large 10-Cup Everyday Water Pitcher
- 2. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- 3. ZeroWater 10-Cup Pitcher
- 4. Reshape Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 5. DRAGONN pH-Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 6. EHM ULTRA Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 7. Lake Industries7000 Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- 8. Seychelle Water Filter Pitcher
- 9. Waterdrop WD-PT-03 Water Pitcher Filter
- 10. Santevia Alkaline Water Pitcher
- Buying Guide – 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Water Filter Pitcher
- What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
- How Do Water Filter Pitchers Work?
- Benefits of Water Filter Pitchers
- How to Change a Water Filter Pitcher
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Water Filter Pitcher
Top 10 Best Water Filter Pitcher Reviews:
1. Brita Large 10-Cup Everyday Water Pitcher
Brita is a well-known brand and one of the largest water filter manufacturers in the world. The filter cartridges produced by them are extremely efficient and specifically designed to remove the majority of contaminants in your drinking water. This is the best water purifier pitcher on our list. It provides a steady flow of water which means that you don’t have to wait long for the water purification process before you can quench your thirst.
This pitcher is first on our list for a variety of reasons including the fact that it holds 10 cups. That’s a great feature which makes it ideal for families as you won’t have to refill the water pitcher lots of times throughout the day. Another feature that puts this product from Brita ahead of the rest is that it comes with a notification system that lets you know when it’s time to change the filter.
This is perfect for busy people who may not be able to keep track of when to install a new water pitcher filter. The signal on the pitcher is green but when the filter cartridge is close to maximum capacity, it changes to yellow. When it turns red, you must change the filter immediately.
This water pitcher is made of high-quality material that is hygienic, easy to clean, and durable. If you’re looking for a water pitcher filter with a great ergonomic design, then this could be the best solution to your needs. With Brita, you get clean, great tasting drinking water for your whole family.
- The filter is designed to improve water quality, odor, and taste
- The pitcher is made from healthy BPA-free material
- Good size to avoid having to refill the pitcher too many times in a day
- The smooth design makes the pitcher very easy to clean
- Very affordable pricing
2. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
This product from Aquagear may be one of the pricier ones on our list, but it’s also one of the most effective water pitchers you’ll find on the market right now. It’s worth forking out a few extra bucks for this one if you’re searching for a water pitcher filter that will save you money down the line. Aquagear offers a subscription service on their website where you get 20% off the replacement filter price.
Under normal use, the water pitcher filter has a lifespan of 6 months and when you subscribe, they send you a new filter every six months. Now that’s super convenient. It means that in addition to paying less for replacement filters, you don’t even have to worry about when to buy new ones. Aquagear takes care of all that for you.
When you pour water into the pitcher, it filters through very fast. However, as the filter gets older, the rate at which the water is purified gets a bit slower. When the flow gets to a slow trickle, then you know it’s time to change the filter.
This is arguably the best water filter pitcher was tested by independent labs and shown to significantly reduce dangerous contaminants in the water including lead, mercury, fluoride, chlorine, chromium-6, DDT, and trihalomethanes. The filter is certified by EPA/ANSI, which means it meets or exceeds the standards for the reduction of contaminants. It’s ideal for anyone who wants to ensure that the water they drink is totally clean and safe.
- Rigorous quality testing in independent labs
- Maximum lifetime savings thanks to long-lasting filters
- Premium design, 100% vegan, 100% recyclable
- Removes more contaminants than most other filters
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
3. ZeroWater 10-Cup Pitcher
This water pitcher filter has a 10-cup capacity and, just like the offering above, is also NSF-certified. It has a 5-stage water filtration process that removes almost all the contaminants dissolved in drinking water, including lead and chromium. The pitcher is made from BPA-free plastics, which means there’s no danger of chemicals from the plastic seeping into your water.
This product is extremely easy to use. Simply ‘push to dispense’ water through the one-handed spout. This design also conveniently allows you to fill up a glass even when you only have one arm free. This water purifier from ZeroWater also has a TDS meter that digitally shows you when it’s time for a filter change. Another feature, the Ion Exchange System provides you with water that has a reading of close to 000 PPM (parts per million) on the TDS meter.
According to their website, theirs is the only water filtration system that is an actual match for the FDA’s description of purified bottled water. If you want the peace of mind of knowing that the water you’re drinking is safe and healthy, then consider this water pitcher filter. It’s also the right size to ensure that your whole family has adequate clean water to drink throughout the day.
- 5-stage water purification process reduces lead and other heavy metals
- Filters are designed to improve water taste and remove odor
- 10-cup capacity reduces the need for frequent refills
- NSF certified to provide cleaner water
- Ion Exchange Technology filters out water pollutants
4. Reshape Alkaline Water Pitcher
The alkaline water filter from Reshape not only has a great design but it’s also capable of filtering the water and alkalizing it at the same time. The model comes with two filter cartridges which means you get the health benefits of alkaline filtered water for up to three months before you need to change the filters. This water purifier also has a very fast filtration rate. It can filter a liter of water in just under 15 minutes.
Another advantage of using this water filter pitcher is its fast filtration rate. This model is capable of filtering 0.33 gallons (1 Liter) of water in under 15 minutes. With such a fast rate of purification, you’ll be able to have a consistent supply of clean drinking water for your entire family. One of the main features of this water pitcher filter is that it adds minerals to the water, thereby increasing its nutritional value.
It’s also made out of durable ABS plastic which lasts a lot longer than other types. All in all, if you want a water pitcher filter that not only lasts longer but provides you with the cleanest, healthiest drinking water, then this is the best filtered water pitcher to consider.
- Water filtration system tested by independent US-based labs
- BPA-free filters remove lead, chlorine, and other volatile organic compounds
- Filters last up to 75 days depending on use
- Remineralization of water for increased nutritional value
- Pitcher filter alkalizes faucet water within minutes
5. DRAGONN pH-Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
This water filter pitcher from Dragonn comes with an impressive 7-stage filtration system. It helps to increase your drinking water’s pH level. The multi-stage cartridge uses carbon filtration, ion exchange resin, mineral balls, and tourmaline to transform questionable water quality into safe, healthy drinking water that your entire family can enjoy. This purification process helps to rid tap water of chlorine, making it taste and smell fresh. This not only encourages you to drink more water, but it has positive health benefits for your body as well.
In addition to that, the 7 stages of filtration help to eliminate or reduce traces of other contaminants like lead, zinc, copper, and other heavy metals or impurities that may be in your drinking water. These filters only need to be replaced once every 60 days. Another benefit they offer is that the alkaline water removes free radicals from your body, lowering your risk of getting cancer.
The water pitcher filter is made from BPA-free plastic, which means there’s no extra risk of toxic chemicals finding their way into the water you drink. This product checks all the boxes when it comes to healthy drinking water for you and your entire family. The pitcher also boasts a slim design which makes it perfect for storing in the fridge. The lid also has a smart design which allows you to fill the pitcher up without having to remove the cover.
- Constructed using environmentally friendly materials
- Unique, slim design allows the pitcher to fit in the fridge easily
- Reduces water molecule size for easier absorption in the body
- Easy-pour spout and easy-lift lid make it easy to use the pitcher
- Alkaline water removes free radicals from the body
6. EHM ULTRA Alkaline Water Pitcher
Tap water contains a lot more than just water. It comes with high chlorine levels, various heavy metals, and a lot of other potentially harmful pollutants. Some water pitcher filters are more effective than others when it comes to improving the quality of drinking water in your home. The alkaline water pitcher filter from EHM is an extremely effective and affordable way of removing contaminants in the water.
It’s perhaps the best water filter pitcher that you can buy. It not only provides clean, toxin-free water but also offers additional health benefits thanks to its mineralized alkaline feature. Some filters present a very frustrating, complicated process when it’s time to change the filter, but this one is very easy to install. The process of purifying your water is also simple. All you need to do is fill the pitcher, let your water sit for a few minutes, and it’s ready for you to enjoy.
The pitcher is designed to give you odorless water that actually tastes like fresh water. Tests conducted by independent labs on this water pitcher filter have shown that it provides high anti-oxidant concentrations in the water which has the same health benefit as Vitamin C in the body. The water from this pitcher also has higher hydrating and absorption rates.
- Produces mineralized alkaline water that is proven to benefit health
- Water has fresh, natural taste and no odor
- Proven to improve hydration and absorption in the body
- 6-stage filter cartridge removes the most pollutants from drinking water
- Manufactured using only top quality, durable materials
7. Lake Industries7000 Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
This water pitcher filter comes with a cartridge system that has carbon, ion exchange resin, tourmaline, and mineral balls. Much like the previously reviewed product, it is particularly effective when it comes to the reduction and removal of chlorine traces from your water. Thanks to its 7-stage water filtration process, this pitcher also removes all heavy metals typically found in tap water, including zinc, lead, and copper.
These aren’t the only impurities to be found in the water that you drink. There are hundreds of different contaminants, and this Lake Industries water filter pitcher removes the majority of them. After the water purification process is complete, you’re left with clean, fresh water that contains no toxins and is completely odorless.
The pitcher also has a slim, sleek design which allows it to fit easily in any size fridge. It comes with an easy to use lid that makes it possible to fill the pitcher without having to remove the cover. The spout also has an easy-pour spout design that reduces the likelihood of spills.
The water from this pitcher has a high negative oxidation reduction potential (ORP), a measurement which tells you the number of contaminants that have been oxidized. All in all, if you’re searching for the best water filtration pitcher with the most benefits, then this is a great option to consider.
- Eliminates toxins, heavy metals, and removes free radicals from the water
- Environmentally friendly, BPA-free construction
- 7-stage filter cartridge for effective purification
- Micro-clustered molecules significantly improve absorption and hydration
- Slim design for easy storage in the fridge
8. Seychelle Water Filter Pitcher
This product from Seychelle, a well-known brand, uses two cartridges to filter water instead of the usual single cartridge. This makes sure that you always have clean, safe drinking water whenever you need it. The filter cartridges in this water pitcher are fast and super effective.
Tests have shown that they remove up to 99.99% of contaminants in the water. This is the ideal product for anyone who wants the peace of mind of knowing that they have the best water filters for home. While this product isn’t the least expensive one on our list, it certainly does provide great value for money.
It’s made with food grade materials, which means that all the components in the filter can come into contact with your water at no added risk of chemicals seeping into your drinking water from the plastics. Using two filters also means that this pitcher is ideal for those with larger families. It works faster than other models and ensures that you don’t run out of clean drinking water.
- This filter is proven to remove 99.99% of all pollutants and contaminants
- Designed for health and sustainability using 100% FDA-approved food-grade materials
- Removes more lead, mercury, and fluoride than other filters
- Offers more filtered drinking water per filter than other models
- Saves you money in the long term thanks to long-lasting filters
9. Waterdrop WD-PT-03 Water Pitcher Filter
This water pitcher filtration system is one that is quite popular with users thanks to its effectiveness in removing chlorine, limescale, and various other impurities that affect the taste and odor of drinking water. The enhanced removal of all unwanted substances in the water is due to the ion exchange resin technology.
This filter has a prolonged lifespan of about 90 days, depending on usage, and will help you save lots of money on replacement filters. It also boasts a faster filtration rate that allows you to fill 8 glasses of filtered water in under a minute. The ergonomic design of the Waterdrop water pitcher filter makes it a smart choice for your home.
It has an anti-slip silicone bottom, leak-proof slide cover, and an electronic indicator that alerts you when it’s time to change the filter. It’s a cost-effective model that offers you clean water daily for under 10 cents per day. When you consider the unrivaled filtration system and the 8-cup capacity, this is the best water filter pitcher for anyone who wants to get safe drinking water for their home at the most affordable price.
- Super adsorptive activated carbon fiber removes 99% of chlorine
- Filtration system designed to provide clean, fresh-tasting water
- Very affordably priced filters
- The pitcher has a space-efficient design that can fit into narrow places
- High capacity that can satisfy large demands
10. Santevia Alkaline Water Pitcher
This water pitcher filter provides you with mineralized alkaline water. It also has a convenient, sleek design that is easy to fill and fits easily in your fridge. When compared to the other products on our list of the top ten water pitcher filters on the market right now, this one has double the life of most of the water pitchers. It comes in 4 vibrant colors: black, blue, white, and green.
This is a great feature that allows you to choose the pitcher that matches your current kitchen décor. The pitcher has a digital display that alerts you when the date for changing the filter is near. Filters last about 60 days according to your level of usage, and they are very easy to install.
The Santevia website has a very informative video that tells you everything you need to know about their product including how to get the most out of it. If you’re looking for the best water filters for home use, then this effective, affordable options is a great one to consider.
- Produces alkaline water that is mineralized according to WHO standards
- Capacity to fill 8 glasses of water at one time
- Countdown clock to remind you when to change the filter
- The lid is designed to make refills easier
- Affordable filters last longer than most other pitcher filters
Buying Guide – 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Water Filter Pitcher
Choosing the best water pitcher filter for your specific needs doesn’t have to be an overwhelming process. Simply consider the factors listed below to help you decide on the ideal water purifier for your home.
A good water pitcher filter should last about three to four months. A great one lasts up to six months. If you’re busy and don’t want the hassle of having to change your water filter too frequently, opt for one that has a longer lifespan.
This is an important factor as it directly impacts how long your water pitcher is going to last. You want a pitcher made from high quality, BPA-free plastic so you don’t get more toxins seeping into your drinking water from your pitcher. This type of plastic is also lightweight and affordable.
Are you buying the water pitcher filter for one person or a whole group of users? This will help you decide on the capacity. Depending on your particular needs, check how much water a pitcher can process in any given moment, and then make your choice accordingly.
You’re going to have to ensure that your pitcher stays clean at all times to avoid contaminating the water inside. Algae and bacteria can develop on the inside and potentially pollute your drinking water. Make sure your water pitcher has a simple, smooth design that you can clean easily.
This is something that may seem unimportant, but if you have a lot of people in your household, having to wait 15 minutes for a drink of filtered water can be quite annoying for everyone. Make sure the water pitcher filter that you choose has a short filtration time to avoid that kind of frustration.
This is obviously something that you need to establish before choosing the best water purification system for your home. Some brands offer reasonably priced models that have all the features you need, while others have additional features and cost considerably more. Decide on the features that are important to you and your family, and then choose your water pitcher filter accordingly.
Water filtration pitchers are very easy to use, but not all of the filters are equally easy to install. When choosing one for your home, read the reviews to ensure that the one you choose has few parts that are simple to put together.
If you want to keep your water in the fridge then you need to consider the design of your water pitcher filter. Most pitchers on our list of the best water filter pitchers are great for keeping your water cool during those hot summer months thanks to their slim design.
Type of filter
Choose the type of water pitcher filter according to the type of water you have in your area. For instance, does your water contain high fluoride levels? If so, choose a model specifically made to reduce fluoride in the water. The same goes for the lead, zinc, and any other substances. If you want the benefits that come with drinking alkaline water, then pick a pitcher designed to produce alkaline water.
Filter Change Indicator
You can choose a water pitcher filter that comes with some sort of mechanism or indicator to show you when you have to change your filter instead of having to guess. This can either be a digital timer or a removable sticker. This may be an important factor to you particularly if you’re very busy and are worried you may not remember to change your water filter on time.
What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
Water pitcher filters are fully functioning, self-contained water filters designed to produce clean, fresh drinking water. They come with a container that can hold different volumes of water, depending on the size of the model. The pitcher is typically made out of plastic, and the filters are usually attached to the lid. Some water pitcher filters have one filter while others have two.
There are many different filtration methods used in various models but the most common one involves the use of carbon filters to remove contaminants, improve the taste, and remove odor from your water. On our list, you’ll find the top rated water filter pitchers that are inexpensive and easily fit inside the refrigerator.
How Do Water Filter Pitchers Work?
Water filter pitchers work in a very simple way. They use a cartridge filter or activated carbon filter to block pollutants in your drinking water. Water first enters the pitcher filter where the various contaminants are removed. It then slowly drains from the filter chamber into the actual pitcher.
This process varies according to the different models, but it typically takes about 10 to 15 minutes for all the water to be purified. When pouring a glass of water to drink, the water bypasses the filters and exits the pitcher through the spout.
Benefits of Water Filter Pitchers
There are many reasons why you could stand to benefit from using a water pitcher filter in your own home. One of the most important ones is that your drinking water may not be as pure as you believe it is. If you want to ensure that you and your family are drinking clean, healthy water, then consider using a water pitcher filter. But that’s far from the only reason to use one. Also, consider the following benefits:
No Chlorine – This substance can be very harmful to humans, and studies have linked the consumption of chlorine to many different illnesses.
No Lead – Lead is another substance that has also been linked to a higher risk of contracting disease when ingested. When you filter water, you remove the lead from it making it safer and healthier to drink.
No Plastic – It’s been proven that some types of plastic used to make the bottles that we store water in may be harmful to our health. Using a water pitcher filter takes care of this issue and helps you avoid ingesting harmful toxins that seep into your drinking water from the plastic containers.
Keep in mind that even though tap water is cleaned properly at the municipal water treatment facility, it does travel through miles of pipes – usually an old, worn system – before reaching your home. This means that it could very well be contaminated by then from bacteria, fungi, heavy metals, and a host of other harmful contaminants that are found in old pipes.
Using a water pitcher filter is an effective and inexpensive solution to such a problem.
How to Change a Water Filter Pitcher
When you purchase your water pitcher filter, the manufacturer’s instructions will show you how to change that specific filter. The period of time between filter changes will also be shown, but this may vary depending on various factors including the level of contamination of your water source.
Changing the filter will take up about 10 minutes of your time every few months, and while this process may vary according to the different models, this is how it’s typically done:
- Submerge the new water filter in a bowl of cold water and leave it to soak for about 10 -15 minutes
- Remove the filter from the water, let it drain a bit, then put it in the pitcher
- Fill the water pitcher three times and throw out the water. This helps activate the carbon filter.
- Your water pitcher is now ready for use
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Water Filter Pitcher
Q-1: What is the most effective water filter pitcher?
- According to our research, the best water purifier pitcher is the Brita Large 10 Cup Everyday Water Pitcher. It not only gives you great tasting water but also gives you the most bang for your buck as it does so much more than simply improve the taste of your water. It’s made from BPA-free materials and effectively takes out the majority of impurities found in drinking water. Couple that with its size, and you have the ideal water pitcher filter for your home.
Q-2: Which water filter removes the most contaminants?
- Tests have shown that the Seychelle filter removes more contaminants than all other filters on our list. At a rate of 99.99% contaminant removal, it’s clearly the winner in that regard. This is a particularly great feature if fluoride is your main concern as it has the highest reduction rate of all pitchers. This water pitcher filter is also made from medical grade plastic, which means that there’s no risk of additional contaminants seeping into your drinking water from the plastic after it’s been purified.
Q-3: Does water pitcher remove lead?
- Water pitcher filters from various brands work in different ways. Some are specifically designed to remove traces of heavy metals like lead while others focus on other substances and are not certified for the removal of lead from water. If you want a water pitcher filter that removes lead from your drinking water, then you have to make sure that the one you choose is designed to remove lead effectively. Many of the water pitcher filters on our top 10 list work well for this purpose.
Q-4: How do you clean a water pitcher?
- Cleaning your water pitcher is very easy. Simply pour out any water inside, and remove the filter. Separate the lid from the reservoir, and discard the filter. Scrub the separate pieces with warm soapy water. If there are any areas that have mildew on them, use a teaspoon of white vinegar in a cup of water, and scrub those areas with the mixture. Rinse the parts, and air-dry them. In the meantime, you can follow your pitcher manufacturer’s instructions as to how to prep the new filter.
- Some filters require a pre-soak while other newer models don’t. Now you can reassemble your water pitcher filter. After putting the pieces back together, fill your pitcher with water and throw it out. Repeat this process at least three times or until you can no longer see any carbon dust particles in the water. And that’s it. Your pitcher is now ready for use.
Q-5: How long does a Brita filter really last?
- There are many factors that are going to affect how long your Brita filter actually lasts. For instance, if your water contamination level is high, then you’re going to need to replace your filter a lot more often than someone whose contamination level is much lower.
- Also, the number of times you refill your pitcher each day will greatly impact the lifespan of your Brita filter. If you only fill your pitcher once a day, it’s going to last longer than someone who refills theirs three or four times every day. Having said that, your Brita filter should last more or less as long as the manufacturer specified (assuming normal use).
Whether you get your drinking water from a well or municipal pipes, it’s important to ensure that when that water hits your lips, it’s as clean and safe as possible. If you’re searching for a simple, inexpensive solution to provide clean and safe drinking water in your home, consider using water pitcher filters.
You’ll have a constant flow of healthy, odorless, great tasting water at your disposal. Use our comprehensive buying guide as a resource to help you pick the best water filter pitcher on the market right now.