One thing about dust is that it does not discriminate. It will get into anything and everything in your home and place of work. You will clean it today but it will accumulate again tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and so on. Now that you’ve accepted that dirt is part of life, you can start thinking of ways to deal with it more effectively. Naturally, vacuum cleaners would be the go-to choice for most people but we have other ideas. Our comprehensive guide and review will help you get the best sweeper as we believe electric sweepers are just as effective if not more effective at dealing with dust.
The best thing about these sweepers is that they are equipped to deal with all kinds of messes and not just dirt. Has your child spilled food accidentally? Is your pet shedding hair all over your floor? No need to fret as these sweepers are designed to deal with such messes.
Our Top 10 Picks: At A Glance
|1. Bissell Natural Carpet and Floor Sweeper 92N0A|
|2. Ontel Products SWSMAX Max Swivel Sweeper|
|3. BISSELL 2880A Perfect Sweep Turbo Sweeper|
|4. Shark Floor and Carpet Sweeper (V2930)|
|5. Bissell 28806 Perfect Sweep Turbo|
|6. Fuller Brush 17027 Electrostatic Sweeper|
|7. Shark V2700Z Floor & Carpet Sweeper|
|8. Fuller Brush 17042 Electrostatic Sweeper|
|9. Shark V2950Floor & Carpet Sweeper|
|10. Fuller Brush 50143 Electrostatic Sweeper|
Here is a breakdown of some of the top models on the market and a guide to help you select the best sweeper for your home or workplace:
- 10 Best Sweeper Review:
- 1. Bissell Natural Sweep Carpet and Floor Sweeper 92N0A
- 2. Ontel Products SWSMAX Max Swivel Sweeper
- 3. BISSELL 2880A Perfect Sweep Turbo Sweeper
- 4. Shark Floor and Carpet Sweeper (V2930)
- 5. Bissell 28806 Perfect Sweep Turbo
- 6. Fuller Brush 17027 Electrostatic Carpet & Floor Sweeper
- 7. Shark V2700Z Floor & Carpet Sweeper
- 8. Fuller Brush 17042 Electrostatic Sweeper
- 9. Shark V2950Floor & Carpet Sweeper
- 10. Fuller Brush 50143 Electrostatic Carpet and Floor Sweeper
- 11. Grandi Groom Carpet Rake
- 12. Black and Decker Floor Sweeper
- 13. Swivel Cordless Carpet and Floor Sweeper
- 14. Carlisle Carpet Groomer
- 15. Casabella Carpet Sweeper
- 16. Rubbermaid Commercial Sweeper
- 17. Eyliden Carpet and Floor Sweeper
- Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Selecting Sweeper
- Why Do You Need a Carpet Sweeper?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Sweeper
10 Best Sweeper Review:
1. Bissell Natural Sweep Carpet and Floor Sweeper 92N0A
First on our list is the Bissell 92N0A or Natural Sweep. It is regarded as the best sweeper, and rightly so. It captures the true essence of the Bissell brand by encompassing over 140 years of the brand’s history in its sweep. The Natural Sweep is a timeless classic when it comes to sweepers.
When it comes to uniqueness, the 92N0A is on a class of its own in this review. It is the only mechanical sweeper. Unlike the other sweepers that feature in this review, it does not require electricity to work. Instead, it uses basic technology that was developed over a century ago but yet it is still effective thanks to the years spent refining it. If you want to clean pet hair, food spillage, dirt and other everyday messes quietly but efficiently, this particular Bissell is the sweeper for you.
This is because it is configured like a traditional manual lawn mower. It utilizes human momentum to sweep rather than noisy electric motors. What’s more, it features dual-rotating brush rolls that are super effective at picking up debris regardless the direction you move the sweeper. On top of that, its zero-reliance on electricity means you can use it at any time and for however long you want without thinking about recharging its batteries.
- Mechanically operated with a series of forward and return gears
- Dual rotating brush rolls facilitate forward and return cleaning
- Effective multi-surface cleaning
- Equipped with a soft bumper to protect furniture from damage
- Compact, lightweight design for easy use and storage
- Easy to empty twin dirt pans
- Eco-friendly design with 100% recycled plastic (PVC-free)
2. Ontel Products SWSMAX Max Swivel Sweeper
Next is the SWSMAX Max sweeper from Ontel Products. This particular sweeper is the updated version of the SWSMAX model. The older model was a hit due to its 360-degree swivel and its immense amount of power. If you are a fan of Ontel Products, you will be glad to learn that this current version is an upgrade but retains part of the charm that made it a hit in the first place.
For starters, the flimsy plastic handles on the older model were replaced with metal ones on this upgraded version for durability. Next, the bend switch in the middle was a weak point on the older model, and as such was eliminated in the updated version. This has significantly increased the sturdiness of the handle while not affecting the SWSMAX Max’s ability to sweep under furniture.
Another noticeable change to the upgraded SWSMAX Max is its power. The people at Ontel Products claim that it gained 33% more power and can now spin the brush blades at a rate of up to 4000 RPM. Lastly, the feature that allowed you to reuse the brushes was ingenious thinking from the brand. The feature was therefore retained in the newer model. However, some upgrades were made that allow you to replace the brushes without having to completely disassemble the sweeper.
- Offers multi-surface cleaning
- Cordless operation with a long lasting rechargeable battery
- Powerful motor that spins the brushes at a rate of 4000 RPM
- Lightweight and nimble 360-degree swivel
- Folds flat to provide better access under furniture and offer compact storage
- Detachable bristles that can be cleaned and reused
3. BISSELL 2880A Perfect Sweep Turbo Sweeper
Bissell sweepers have been the standard for electric sweepers since the late 1800s and have maintained their market dominance till this day. The 2880A or Perfect Sweep is a great example of why Bissell sweepers are preferred by most people across the globe. As its name suggests, this Perfect Sweep cleans all types of messes across all types of floors – whether carpet or hard floors.
Messes such as dirt, pet hair, and accidental food spillages are part of life. Unless your home or office is built like a spaceship, it will always accumulate dust over time. If you have a fluffy cat or dog, you will have to deal with pet hair on your floors. Accidental food spillages can happen to anyone whether they are an adult or a kid. The sheer amount of power the Perfect Sweep produces helps ease the cleaning process. It is one of the best hard floor sweepers when it comes to cleaning these messes.
The fact that the 2880A is lightweight, nimble and cordless help with portability and maneuverability. On top of that, it is equipped with a multi-brush cleaning system with a motorized primary brush roll and two complimentary edge brushes designed to produce a spotless cleaning performance. To top it off, its battery provides up to an hour of uninterrupted cleaning which is more than enough to sweep your entire house without recharging the battery.
- Multi-brush system: dual edge brushes and one motorized brush roll
- A long-lasting battery provides up to 60 Minutes of uninterrupted sweeping
- Lightweight and nimble
- Handle lies flat for maximum reach under furniture
- Cordless operation
- Easy-to-remove, top loading dirt pan
4. Shark Floor and Carpet Sweeper (V2930)
So far, the SharkNinja V2930 is one of the best floor sweepers we’ve been privileged to test. We discovered that this sweeper does exceptionally well when it comes to cleaning marble floors, tiles, hardwood floors and other types of hard floors. In fact, this particular Shark sweeper outperformed most vacuum cleaners at picking larger debris such as broken glass, Styrofoam, spilled food, and so on off the floor.
But wait, there’s more. The V2930 sweeper impressed us with its quiet sweeping operation, portability and versatility. The quiet but powerful operation of this sweeper ensures that you don’t have to worry about waking your sleeping toddler when cleaning your house or upsetting customers when cleaning your store or restaurant.
One tip to remember when using the Shark V2930 is to charge it after every use to provide cordless operation for your next use. Its fully charged battery gives you up to an hour of unlimited portability. What’s more, its head swivels and its handle bends completely flat to reach tight spaces without having to strain your back.
- Motorized brush for power sweeping
- BACKSAVER Handle bends completely flat to give you access under furniture and other tight surfaces
- Ultra lightweight and swivel steering for easy portability and maneuverability
- 10” cleaning path
- Features a long-lasting Ni-MH battery for cordless operation
- Protected by a one-year limited warranty
5. Bissell 28806 Perfect Sweep Turbo
The 28806 is the third Bissell sweeper to feature on our list. Our interaction with it revealed it to be one of the best carpet sweepers. One thing to note is that the 28806 sweeper is not a vacuum. Therefore does not come with a suction. However, this is not to say that it is ineffective. In fact, this sweeper utilizes its motor to spin its brush assembly to get rid of debris.
If you have a toddler that’s constantly spilling food or a pet that’s constantly shedding hair on your carpet then this is the sweeper for you. This rechargeable sweeper is powerful enough to turn its sweeping heads on any carpet regardless its depth. In this regard, this Bissell 28806 is more effective than a vacuum cleaner at cleaning larger debris stuck in carpeted floors. What’s more, the versatility of this sweeper allows you to pick kitty litter in the easiest way possible.
While this Bissell sweeper lacks a suction, it stores dirt and debris in its dirt container like a vacuum cleaner. Once you’re done sweeping, make sure you empty the residue container before you store it. Other notable features associated with the Bissell 28806 sweeper are its quiet sweeping performance, a fold-flat design that allows compact storage and its long-lasting battery that provides up to an hour of cordless sweeping.
- Long lasting battery with up to an hour of cordless cleaning time
- Easy-to-remove, top loading dirt container
- Multi-surface cleaning capabilities
- Automatic charging light notifies you when it’s charging
- Lightweight and portable
- Folds flat for compact storage
- Quiet sweeping performance
6. Fuller Brush 17027 Electrostatic Carpet & Floor Sweeper
Next on our list is the Fuller Brush 17027. This sweeper is the first out of three sweepers from the Fuller Brush brand to feature in our review. Our rigorous tests with this sweeper concluded that it is the best sweeper from the brand. It is extremely effective at getting rid of all kinds of debris on hardwood floors and carpeted floors.
We particularly recommend this 17027 sweeper to people that have pets and a yard at home. If your pets spend a lot of time in your yard, they are bound to bring with them grass and plant droppings in the house. This is on top of the pet hair they shed on the carpet and sofa. This sweeper is the ideal tool to deal with such a situation. It comes equipped with a motorized brush with natural bristles that are designed to pick up pet hair, grass blades and plant droppings that your pet drags into the house.
The best thing about its sweeping performance is that it requires minimum effort from you. This is partly because of its lightweight nature and motorized operation. Lastly, its compactness, cordless operation, and swivel steering also play a huge part in simplifying your cleaning experience. They make this 17027 sweeper more portable and maneuverable through furniture in your household.
- 9″ Cleaning Path
- Natural bristle rotor brush for cleaning debris easily
- Created with reversible cleaning power
- Compact, lightweight and portable for easy maneuver
- Multi-floor capabilities; cleans both hard and soft floors
- Easy use with its electrostatic charge
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Sturdy metallic build for durability
7. Shark V2700Z Floor & Carpet Sweeper
Like other sweepers from SharkNinja, this V2700Z produces high-quality performances and great reliability. This particular model came out in 2013 and features all the latest sweeping technology from SharkNinja. For instance, the V2700Z sweeper features a 10-inch motorized brush roll with a 10-inch cleaning path. The motorized brush roll is soft but powerful enough to pick up all types of messes on all surfaces types without damaging them.
One of our favorite things about this sweeper is its refined operation. It provides a powerful yet quiet cleaning performance. You can sweep broken glasses, crumbs, dust, and other debris on carpeted floors, tiled floors or hardwood floors with this V2700Z without breaking a sweat. This is because it is powered by a motor that does all the work for you. The best thing about cleaning with this versatile sweeper is that it has a vacuum-operated dust cap that collects swept debris.
One other thing that made us fall in love with this V2700Z is that its batteries do not compromise its lightweight nature. On top of being lightweight, this sweeper comes equipped with a swivel steering and can be operated without power cords. These factors enhance the maneuverability and portability of this sweeper. With all these positives, it is easy to see why this SharkNinja V2700Z is featured in most cordless sweeper reviews.
- Battery enabled with cordless operation
- Powerful motorized brush roll
- 10″ cleaning path
- Multi-surface cleaning performance
- Swivel steering for enhanced maneuverability
- Quiet, powerful sweeping performance
- Protected by a 1-year warranty
8. Fuller Brush 17042 Electrostatic Sweeper
Fuller Brush sweepers are known for their electrostatic technology and this 17042 is no exception. This class-leading technology utilizes electrostatic charges when sweeping to power the sweeper. The more you sweep, the more static energy you create. The 17042 sweeper is equipped with mechanisms that tap into electrostatic charges to power it. The more you sweep the less energy you’ll use.
The first thing you notice when you unbox this sweeper is its high-quality build. It features a high-strength metal housing that protects it from damage when it comes into contact with furniture. It also features a metallic handle for strength and durability. While its metallic build is good, it is not the most impressive thing about the build quality of this 17042 sweeper. It comes equipped with a soft vinyl bumper that protects your furniture from damage. This way, your furniture, and sweeper are protected from damage when they come in contact.
Another example of attention to detail is through the inclusion of an extra vinyl blade rotor. This rotor makes the 17042 a complete sweeper. It allows you to clean wet messes such as spilled food and beverages, unlike other sweepers. What’s more, the 17042 sweeper is designed to fold completely flat. This helps in two major ways. First, it allows compact storage and gives you easy access in hard to reach areas such as under furniture.
- Natural bristle rotor brush for thorough yet gentle sweeping
- Extra vinyl blade rotor included
- Compact and portable
- Multi-floor sweeping capabilities
- Folds flat for easy use and storage
- Sturdy, lightweight metallic build for durability and agility
9. Shark V2950Floor & Carpet Sweeper
Next up is the SharkNinja V2950. This rechargeable cordless sweeper is a favorite for professional cleaners and homeowners for its lightweight nature and cordless operation. The fact that it can clean hard and carpeted surfaces with the same efficiency make it well worth it. But that’s not all, this ultra-light sweeper comes equipped with the class-leading sweeping technology.
When it comes to sweeping, this V2950 features a 13-inch sweeping surface. The cleaning surface is dominated by a 13-inch motorized brush roll that has two-speed settings for tackling different cleaning jobs. The motorized brush is supported with squeegees on both ends for cleaning debris off walls and corners.
This powerful sweeper comes equipped with a Ni-MH battery that provides up to 55 minutes of uninterrupted sweeping. A folding BACKSAVER handle and a swivel steering are two of the most useful features of this sweeper when it comes to mobility. The BACKSAVER handle folds down completely allowing you to easily reach under furniture and other tight spaces while the swivel steering helps with maneuverability.
- Powerful motorized 13-inch brush roll with two-speed settings
- Cordless operation
- Ni-MH battery with a max run time of 55 minutes
- Folding BACKSAVER handle for reaching tight spaces
- Ultra lightweight and swivel steering for increased maneuverability
- Edge cleaning squeegee for cleaning walls and edges
- Container Capacity: 1.8 qt
10. Fuller Brush 50143 Electrostatic Carpet and Floor Sweeper
Last but not least is the Fuller Brush 50143. This electrostatic sweeper is one of our favorite tool for a quick clean up at home or place of work. Perhaps you’re just from cutting your nails and now your floor is littered with nail clippings. It gets worse; some clippings have fallen on the carpet as well. If you have the Fuller 50143 you have nothing to worry about. This carpet and floor sweeper is built for such situations. Simply grab it and clean your mess.
The Fuller 50143 is not just for nail clippings. This sweeper features the latest technology to handle all types of messes – basically, all types of debris whether dust, crumbs, pet hair, broken glass, and so on. This sweeper features a rotor brush with natural bristles that guarantee a thorough but gentle cleaning on all floor types. You also get an extra vinyl blade rotor for cleaning messy spills from foods and beverages.
With a 9-inch cleaning surface, this Fuller 50143 provides the perfect cleaning path. You can maneuver it in tight spaces and clean large surfaces with great ease. What’s more, this sweeper sturdy, compact, and lightweight. It is protected by high-strength steel so you don’t have to worry about damaging it if you happen to ram it against furniture. The fact that it is compact, lightweight, and cordless makes it extremely portable when cleaning messes. Lastly, when you’re done using it, simply fold it flat for easy, compact storage.
- 9″ Cleaning Path
- Natural bristle rotor brush for cleaning debris easily
- Created with reversible cleaning power
- Compact, lightweight and portable for easy maneuver
- Multi-floor capabilities; cleans both hard and soft floors
- Easy use with its electrostatic charge
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Sturdy metallic build for durability
11. Grandi Groom Carpet Rake
The Grandi Groom is a high-quality, durable carpet rake that is used by more carpet cleaning professionals than any other. It’s a versatile tool you can use to keep both your floors and your carpets clean.
It is specially designed to loosen embedded dirt in the most trafficked areas of your carpets and rugs. It’ll help to bring ground in dirt to the surface, making it easier for you to clean out pet hair, mud, etc. When you’re done cleaning with this sweeper, your carpet will look like new. You can also use it on artificial turf installs.
It’s built to withstand all the rigors that come with professional use. This is the perfect tool for cleaning multiple surfaces. It has long nylon tines that reach very deep into the fibers of your carpets, helping to maintain the nap of your new carpets. When cleaning an artificial carpet, the sweeper pulls the blades upright, providing maximum bloom to keep your grass looking great.
- Easily lifts pet hear from carpets
- Loosens deeply-embedded soil particles
- 18-inch head for extra wide coverage
- Restructures the original design of artificial grass
- High-quality construction from a trusted manufacturer
12. Black and Decker Floor Sweeper
This charcoal gray floor sweeper from a well-known brand, Black & Decker, is super lightweight, sleek, and easily maneuverable. You’ll be able to clean your floors or carpets with one hand. Simply grab the sweeper and go.
It has a lithium-ion battery, which means that there is no cord to slow you down. This sweeper gives great performance and is designed to leave no mess behind. It gives up to 100 minutes of sweeping power and the head swivels smoothly. This allows you effortless steering around and behind large pieces of furniture.
The head also folds flat so you can easily glide underneath low couches and beds. The built-in LED allows you to quickly check the status of your battery at a glance. The debris and dust instantly empty into your trashcan without you having to get your hands dirty.
The sweeper also has a self-standing design that allows you to park it with ease. This is one of the few floor sweepers that have convenient storage options to suit the needs of those with limited space.
- Sweeper provides 100 minutes of power
- Sleek and lightweight for easy cleaning
- The head swivels effortlessly to clean around furniture
- Built-in LED shows battery status clearly
- Includes all necessary components and charger
13. Swivel Cordless Carpet and Floor Sweeper
This cordless carpet and floor sweeper can run up to 45 minutes after a single charge. It is a back-saving base joint that makes cleaning a whole lot easier. For anyone who’s searching for a high-quality, great performing sweeper at an affordable price, this is a great option to consider.
Designed for daily vigorous use, this sweeper will leave your carpets and floors looking clean every time. All you have to do is charge the sweeper for five hours and the battery will last for several uses. This is very convenient, particularly for those with larger homes and offices to clean.
The sweeper comes with a rechargeable battery as well as a battery charger for your convenience. It also has an easy-fold feature which allows you to quickly get under the couches and beds when cleaning.
- Simple, sturdy, and durable sweeper design
- Cordless carpet and floor sweeper
- Run time of up to 45 minutes on a single charge
- High-quality construction for everyday use
- Comes with rechargeable battery and charger
14. Carlisle Carpet Groomer
This carpet rake from the Carlisle brand helps to restore your worn-down carpet piles. You can use it to easily return your carpet to its high pile, fluffy state. The sweeper has nylon tines that gently lift all ground-in dirt, dust, pet hair, food particles, and so on.
This will help ensure that when you steam clean or vacuum your carpet, no dirt is left behind. The sweeper will help keep your carpet looking new or for longer. According to many happy customers online, this is a great sweeper for those who need to use it every day. It’s designed to be strong and durable, and it offers outstanding performance.
It not only keeps the carpets clean but also gives them new life so you don’t have to replace them quite as often. When it comes to deep cleaning and restoring carpets, this Carlisle commercial-grade carpet groomer offers the best value that you’ll find anywhere.
- Great for restoring the original texture of worn carpets
- Effectively removes pet hair and ground-in dirt
- Ideal for a deeper cleaning prior to vacuuming
- 18-inch wide head covers a larger surface area
- A competitively priced commercial-grade carpet rake
15. Casabella Carpet Sweeper
The Casabella carpet and floor sweeper is quiet and lightweight. It’s an electrostatic cleaner that comes in a wide range of bright, vibrant colors to suit your preference. It is ideal for fast, easy cleanup tasks since it requires no electricity.
This means that you don’t have to deal with messy cords getting in the way while you’re cleaning. The brush, which is made with natural boar bristle, is ideal for picking up pet hair, crumbs, glass, and sand from your carpets or hard floors. Casabella’s sweeper leaves absolutely nothing behind.
It comes with dual dustpans that are easy to empty. They also tightly sealed in order to keep the dirt from spilling out. Once you’re done with the sweeper, it folds flat for easy and compact storage. This makes it ideal for apartments, campers, offices, and basically any other place where you have limited space.
The 11-inch wide head covers a wide area which makes for fast, convenient cleaning. This sweeper also comes with a rotor brush comb to make your cleaning even easier.
- The sweeper can be used on indoor or outdoor carpets
- Features an ergonomic grip for ease of use
- Folds flat tot reach under furniture
- Ideal for quick touchups and small cleaning jobs
- Picks up everything from dirt and dust to spills and glass
16. Rubbermaid Commercial Sweeper
This commercial-grade sweeper is ideal for carpets and hard floors. It has an easy-open debris pan to make cleaning effortless. It also features a low profile design that provides easy access when cleaning around and underneath large pieces of furniture.
Made from galvanized steel and durable ABS plastic, this sweeper has a design that is ideal for a wide range of services, including low-pile carpet, wood, vinyl, tile, and much more. For anyone who’s searching for a high-quality sweeper that quiet and simple to maneuver, this one from Rubbermaid is a good option for you.
When you make this sweeper a part of your cleaning solution, you can be sure that you’ll always have clean floors in your home or commercial space. The convenient threaded handle makes for easy assembly and the soft rubber wheels easily glide over all types of surfaces.
- Unique, low-profile design for easy access under furniture
- 6½-inch sweeping head for efficient cleaning
- Sweeper features bumper to protect walls and furniture
- Debris pan opens effortlessly for easy cleaning
- Made from durable galvanized steel and ABS plastic
17. Eyliden Carpet and Floor Sweeper
This carpet and floor sweeper from Eyliden features a dual rotating brush roll that will pick up all sorts of dirt and debris, including large and small objects. The sweeper is compact and lightweight making it easy to use and store.
Ideal for those quick cleanup tasks, this sweeper doesn’t require any batteries or electricity. All you need to do is to push it back-and-forth to get effective pickup of all debris on your floors and carpets. This is a safe, effective, and environmentally friendly way to clean all your rugs, carpets, and hard floors.
When you’re done cleaning, place the sweeper on top of your trash with the snap button up to easily empty the debris pan. In addition to being lightweight, easy to use, and multifunctional, this sweeper also comes with a convenient service guarantee from the manufacturer. If you’re looking for a great floor and carpet sweeper that requires very little maintenance, then this could be the perfect choice for you.
- Super-lightweight and compact for easy storage
- Multifunctional, works on a variety of surfaces
- No electricity or batteries needed
- Dual rotating brush rolls will pick up large and small debris
- Comes with a service guarantee from the manufacturer
Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Selecting Sweeper
There are a lot of things to consider if you’re shopping for a sweeper for your home or place of work. This guide breaks down all the things you need to know to get the best sweeper:
How you are planning to use it
Why are you on the market for a sweeper? Is it for sweeping your household or place of work? If the sweeper for your household, you need to factor in all the floor types in your home before buying a sweeper. The sweeper should be well equipped to clean all floor surfaces in your home without damaging the floor.
If the sweeper is meant for your place of work, you need to consider the type of business you’re running. It might be an office, restaurant, institution, or any other business. Find a sweeper that can meet the cleaning requirements of your business. For instance, institutions receive a lot of human traffic on a daily basis. In this case, an ideal sweeper should be sturdy to withstand the rigors of sweeping floors every day.
Types of sweepers
There are three types of sweepers. Let’s look at some of their pros and cons below:
- Manual Sweepers: Everybody is familiar with this type of sweeper. Manual sweepers don’t need any explanation as they are the traditional sweepers used in most households.
- Mechanical Sweepers: These sweepers are quite rare. They are equipped with a series of gears that rotates the blades and brushes whenever the sweeper is moved. The main benefits include a quiet and cordless operation. Mechanical sweepers operate on human momentum, therefore, eliminates the need for batteries. They are compact and lightweight meaning they are highly portable and maneuverable across tight spaces.
- Electric Sweepers: These are relatively new to the market. As their name suggests, they use electricity either from a battery, a power outlet or a combination of both to sweep. Some electric sweepers are a pain to use as you can only use them when they are plugged into the power source. The power cords restrict their mobility.
However, most modern electric sweepers are equipped with rechargeable batteries to facilitate cordless cleaning. While electric sweepers are effective, sweeping with them is relatively louder than sweeping with mechanical or manual sweepers. If you are buying an electric sweeper, it is wise to purchase a replacement rechargeable battery for emergencies.
Surface to be cleaned
The good thing about sweepers is that you can use them indoors or outdoors. Let us see how different sweepers are equipped to handle different surfaces:
- Indoor Surfaces: Indoor surfaces have different floor types and are filled with furniture. As a result, a good indoor sweeper should be nimble for greater maneuverability around furniture, people and pets. It should also be well-equipped to sweep carpet, tile, marble, hardwood, and other floor varieties.
- Outdoor Surfaces: Outdoor surfaces are built with asphalt, concrete, bricks, and other tough materials to withstand harsh exterior conditions. As a result, outdoor sweepers need to be large and sturdy to be effective on these rigid surfaces. Most outdoor sweepers are electric as they are powerful enough to deal with large debris and dirt buildup. That said, they are noisier than other types of sweepers due to their large powerful motors.
Brush vs Rubber Blade Design
Sweepers are equipped with either brush or rubber blades to sweep debris off floors. Both blade designs have their pros and cons. You can use both types of blades on all hard and soft floors. The only difference is that sweepers with brush blades sweep more debris in a single pass while sweepers with rubber blades are more effective at picking up finer debris.
Cordless electric sweepers use three different types of batteries. Below are the batteries and their characteristics:
- Nickel-Cadmium: The first ever rechargeable batteries used in household equipment were of the Nickel-Cadmium variety. Some sweepers use these batteries due to their cheap price.
- Nickel-metal Hydride: They are more popular than Nickel-Cadmium batteries as they are just as cheap but more durable and don’t pose a huge threat to the environment.
- Lithium-Ion: Despite being more expensive than the previous two, this variety of battery is currently the best in the market. This is because they are lightweight, charge the fastest and have the longest life-cycle.
Why Do You Need a Carpet Sweeper?
One of the most asked questions is whether carpet sweepers are better than vacuum cleaners and brooms at cleaning carpets. The answer to this question is twofold.
Firstly, carpet sweepers are better equipped to keep your carpet clean and tidy compared to traditional brooms. This is because electric brooms provide efficient and effortless carpet cleaning. Unlike manual carpet sweeper, electric models are not tedious to use and don’t disintegrate when sweeping leaving unsightly residue behind. If you want the best carpet sweeper nonelectric, you can go for mechanical sweeper which works just as well as an electric model.
Now to the second part; are sweepers better than vacs at cleaning carpets? It is hard to give a definite answer to this question as different models of both cleaners provide distinct performances. That said, you should go for a sweeper if you have a thin-pile carpet and a vacuum cleaner if you have a medium-pile or plush carpet.
Generally, electric sweepers are less bulky and heavy than vacuum cleaners. This makes them ideal for maneuvering across furniture and tight spaces. They are also more suitable for elderly folk, expectant women, and those with suffering from mobility issues from illnesses such as arthritis. Another reason to get a carpet cleaner over a vacuum cleaner is that they operate more quietly without disturbing or distracting occupants in a room.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sweeper
Q-1: Should I buy a corded or cordless sweeper?
- We recommend cordless sweepers for various reasons. We will get to those reasons momentarily but for now, let’s talk about the benefits of a corded sweeper. It is true that corded sweepers are underrated but have one distinct advantage over cordless sweepers. Corded sweepers give you unlimited cleaning potential as you don’t have to stop between cleaning to recharge it. This factor is often overlooked because of its corded operation which restricts mobility and clutters the floor.
- Meanwhile, cordless sweepers are the preferred by most people as you can use them anywhere. They are powered by rechargeable batteries so you don’t need an electric outlet to use them. On top of that, their cordless operation frees your mobility and eliminates the risk of tripping over the power cord. The only downside of owning a cordless sweeper is that once you drain the battery, you have to stop cleaning to recharge it. For us, that is a tradeoff that’s worth taking seeing that most home-based sweepers come with an average battery life of about one hour which should be enough to clean most homes.
Q-2: What are some of the benefits of an electric sweeper over a vacuum cleaner?
- As stated in the previous section, electric sweepers are more compact, lightweight, and nimble than vacuum cleaners. As a result, they are more maneuverable across hard to reach spaces. They are also quieter than vacuum cleaners.
Q-3: Are sweepers durable?
- Yes. Most of them are designed with metallic outer shells to protect the internal components when the sweepers collide with furniture.
Q-4: What are the ideal size and weight of a sweeper?
- Electric brooms are light tools. Most home-based electric brooms weight about 3-pounds. Anything over 5-pounds is considered heavy. When it comes to size, your height should dictate the tallness of your electric broom.
Q-5: What are some useful maintenance tips for my sweeper?
- If you want to prolong the life of your electric broom, make sure you clean it after every use. After you empty its dustpan, store it in a dry place and away from dust. If your model comes with a wall mount, you can hang it to save space.
As you’ve seen in our comprehensive buying guide, floor sweepers are important pieces of equipment to have at home or your place of work. They help you keep your premises clean by getting rid of everyday dirt and dust. While the Bissell Natural Sweep is the best sweeper, all the sweepers we included in our review are just as good. Our top ten choices are also inclusive to meet the needs of everybody. Ultimately, whatever sweeper you select you are guaranteed to get a highly-efficient cleaning machine.